Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Trick or Treating Kids!



Finally went to theatre and saw Corpse Bride this weekend and loved it. The sets felt like 20's/30's german expressionist movies and the underworld lighting reminded me of 60's italian horror movies. All great stuff. I noticed on the the piano was a Harryhausen. Amazing when you think of the fact that so many people go into the making of a sequence in a movie now, that stop motion animator Ray Harryhausen did it all himself on classics like Jason and the Argonauts and Earth vs the Flying Saucers. From concept and production drawings to all the animating its incredibly inspiring stuff. I saw him lecture here when he was touring promoting his new book about his life which was wonderful to listen too. They screened the Tortouise and the Hare short that he had never finished and was completed by UCLA students [I think] and is available now on dvd. I remember watching the skeleton battle in Jason and being in complete awe as a kid and I'm even more so now that I'm older.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is neat!!

virginiavalle.blogspot.com said...

ohh this is cool :)

leifpeng said...

Did he animate the effects in "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad"? I can still remember the chill up my spine as a little kid sitting in the movie theatre when that stone statue with the six arm ( and six sabres! ) stepped off its pedestal. Thanks for bringing back the memories, Draz!

Drazen said...

He sure did..every frame..yeah that Kali scene is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

corpse bride is a wickedly gleeful banquet of morbid invention :)..