Monday, March 10, 2008



Last year I had the wonderful experience of illustrating the new series from author Alison McGhee. Alison is a brilliant, moving and funny writer and Julia Gillian and the Art of Knowing was a joy to work on. I loved illustrating the characters and the Minneapolis neighborhood
of Julia Gillians world and did about 75 black and white drawings for the interior. This is the first book in a three book series and will hit the shelves
in June from Scholastic. I had a great time with everyone involved and couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out tho I imagine I'd still be tweeking or redrawing things if it wasn't off to the printer. It always feels like I could have done better but
hey, its on to book two now.
I'll post some artwork after it comes out but heres the cover.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art is so sweet! Can you show the back?

Drazen said...

Thanks.
I probably could but I think I'll wait till the book comes out:-)
I'll give you a hint tho,its the other side of the street.

d

Kactiguy said...

Cool. Way to go. This is a really nice looking cover my friend.

Dominic Bugatto said...

lookin' good man. Congrats.

Drazen said...

thanks Guy and Dom.

the doodlers said...

Hot digity! Congrats Drazen. Looks like a loverly book.. Jealous am I...:)

Also love the new banner.. maybe it's not so new since it's been a while since I visited...sigh..too much storyboarding makes arna a very dull girl.

Jamal O said...

Absolutely charming sketches and photos on your blog.

A Beautiful eye.

Drazen said...

Thanks a lot Arna and jamal o!

Bianca Siercke said...

I really love this picture. Looking at it I feel really warm inside, but most of all I feel sincerity.

Drazen said...

thanks Bianca!

paige said...

Awwww. I love it! Can't wait to pick it up and see the inside pictures. Cheers!

Drazen said...

Thanks a lot Paige!

Elliot Cowan said...

Hello there.
I was visiting my editor at Scholastic last week and sitting on his desk were a pile of books with your name on (the very book you've posted about).
What a lovely surprise.